We exist to help the world better understand people through data. Our mission is to transform how data is used to discover new insights and empower human driven decisions.
KnowledgeHound is changing the game as to how companies (some clients include Procter & Gamble, Clorox and Weber) ingest, save and recycle their market research. We work in the market research industry which is full of antiquated tools that make it difficult to access and use important data. Our aim is to use modern technology along with wide range of relevant data to make it easy to research market behavior and to provide valuable insights for our customers.
We are just over 3 years old and have a working product with paying customers and a steady revenue stream. Procter and Gamble, Whirlpool, and Weber are just some of our Fortune 500 clients with many more to come. We recently closed a $3M round of funding and are rapidly expanding.
Our team, located in Chicago, is small yet mighty. This gives you a unique opportunity to make an immediate impact and to get involved and influence all aspects of the business. If you don't shy away from tough, but rewarding, challenges - let’s chat!
This highly visible role will have a pivotal responsibility in the areas of accounting, process management and risk management as the company continues its dramatic expansion. The Controller will work directly with the CEO and will take active oversight and hands-on responsibility in a variety of key functions. This individual should have a depth of professional experience and maturity. The individual must thrive in an environment where they can operate independently and in unstructured environment.
- Direct involvement in the entire accounting function, including “ownership” of the company’s books. This includes all aspects of the monthly, quarterly and annual closes, including: monthly and quarterly close, including management of and communication of the close process, reconciliation and basic reporting functions associated with general ledger management, and annual close and audit management.
- Set annual budget and track against this budget.
- Oversight and direct involvement within the operational aspects of the accounting department, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, cash management, banking and debt processes and other accounting/finance operations.
- Develop and produce a monthly in-depth Controller Report for executive management and the board that details the company’s operations and performance on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Responsibility for proactive identification of organizational and operational risks, as well as working with the CEO and the rest of the executive team to develop efficient processes to manage those risks as the company continues its rapid growth.
- Strict cash management specifically ensuring the company manages cash until the next round of funding.
- Oversight of the company’s tax processes at the state and federal levels.
- Reviews contracts. (Master Services Agreements and Service Level Agreements)
- BS in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA absolutely required, MBA a plus.
- Minimum four to seven years previous experience as a Controller required, along with a career of progressive growth in the accounting function.
- Experience in a technology or other high growth early stage firm required.
- Public Accounting/Auditing experience required and Big Four experience will be given preference.
- Strong revenue recognition experience required and exposure to cost accounting highly desirable.
- Tax accounting experience or oversight desirable.
- Experience reviewing and negotiating customer contracts will be an awesome addition if available.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strategic thinker with a tactical hands-on approach.
- Superior written, verbal & interpersonal skills.
- Proactive and self-driven with the ability to think creatively within a flexible environment.
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task & prioritize in a fast-paced culture.
- Understands what it really means to run an accounting process and demonstrates/supports the need for discipline and deadlines in a high growth, rapidly developing organization.
- Strong process skills and the ability to develop and implement process with confidence and sensitivity in a relatively unstructured environment.
- Effective leader and mentor with the ability to be a solid team player as well.
Will we be the right fit for you? Below are the values in which we operate. Matching values will be a critical element to the candidate’s success and happiness in this role.
- Customer obsessed - Our customers are more than just a sales figure. We value those who treat our customers like the dynamic, wonderful people they are and obsess over every interaction we have with them.
- Live passionately - We are a company of individuals who want to take advantage of all that life has to offer. We value people who dare to do more than collect a paycheck, who bring their life experiences to the table, and who know how to stay balanced to maximize productivity at work and at home over the long term.
- Own it - At KnowledgeHound, ownership goes beyond your specific role or title. We value those who exhibit the willingness, autonomy, and discipline to pick up a problem and courageously tackle it head on.
- Team first - We always approach our success and failures as a team. We value those who remain humble and respectful for other people and exhibit a willingness to put the team above their own self interest.
- Create, innovate, disrupt - As a company that is on a mission to change the way people think about data, we value those who push themselves to approach challenges creatively. We want disruptors and innovators that aren’t afraid to challenge the status-quo.
- Biased to action - We value those who don’t give in to "analysis paralysis" and who focus on moving and delivering fast. We are not afraid to fail and we put pragmatism ahead of unneeded formality.
- Be extraordinary - Going above and beyond is a normal way of life for us at KnowledgeHound. We value people who always strive to amaze colleagues and customers by delivering above and beyond expectations, who continuously seek to get better at everything they do, and who exhibit integrity in all their endeavors.
Why work for us?
Because the team is incredible. A-players on tech, design and business side. We don’t let organization structure, politics or processes prevent us from innovating and bringing what is right to the user, quickly.
Because we have built a great product. Our design and engineering is head and shoulders better than our competitors and we work with the latest technologies.
Because it’s the perfect time. We have Fortune 500 companies as our clients, serious revenue and investment. We are small enough for you to make a BIG impact and really be a driving force behind this company’s explosive and disruptive growth.
Because we are disruptive. We are innovative thinkers breaking into the market research world, a market that has been waiting for the right minds to come and shake it up. We are fundamentally changing the market research industry.
Have what it takes?
Send us your cover letter and resume.Apply Now